Birth and Death Registration and Certification – Municipal Reforms Cell, Directorate of Municipal Administration
- Written by eINDIA
- October 15, 2012 at 4:05 pm
Project Category: CSC Initiative
Details of the Applicant:
Name: SRI. M.S. RAVISHANKAR, I.A.S., Commissioner,
Organization: MUNICIPAL REFORMS CELL, DIRECTORATE OF MUNICIPAL ADMINISTRATION
Address: Municipal Reforms Cell, Directorate of Municipal Administration, 1-4, 6th Floor, IT Park, Rajajinagar Induatrial Esate, Bangalore – 44
Zip Code: 560
Organization Website: www.mrc.gov.in
Details of the Agency implementing the Project/Initiative:
Name of the Organization: MUNICIPAL REFORMS CELL, DIRECTORATE OF MUNICIPAL ADMINISTRATION
Address: Municipal Reforms Cell, Directorate of Municipal Administration, 1-4, 6th Floor, IT Park, Rajajinagar Induatrial Esate, Bangalore – 44.
Zip Code: 560044
Head of Organization: SRI. M.S. RAVISHANKAR, I.A.S., Commissioner
Details of Programme /Project/Initiative:
ULBs in Karnataka were maintaining the Birth and Death information in hard copy form. Registration was being done manually. The issuance of Birth and Death certificates used to take more time on account of manual searching of entries and writing the certificates. The Government of Karnataka, as part of its urban reforms process, introduced the system of computerizing the Birth and Death records, online registration of Births & Deaths and issuing of computerized certificates in the ULBs. Birth and Death online application is made live in all 213 Urban Local Bodies in 2 phases. First phase was started in 2005 and Second phase 2007. Municipal Reforms Cell, Directorate of Municipal Administration developed Birth and Death Data Entry application and implemented in ULBs to make data entry of previous ten years birth, death and still birth records. Once the data entry was Completed by the ULB and send to us MRC made that ULBs was made live. ULBs starteded data entry day to day basis and issue the certificates AS prescribed in the Birth and Death act, 1969 Registrar collects Birth, Death and Still Birth event details in the prescribed Form-1, Form-2 and Form-3 respectively from the Concerned Hospital, House and at any places where event occurred after proper verification. Then registrar registrates the events in the application according to the information available at form1, from-2 and form-3. Application generates unique registration number for each Birth, Death and Still Birth registration. Application generates receipt for each certificate generated and Fee is collected as per act. Receipt is and collected by the Public. There is a provision for record corrections in the applications, but before doing any corrections concerned registrar should follow the conditions specified in the Act. Hospitals have the option to register birth, Death and Still Birth events occurred at their premises in the application, but these records should be approved by ULB registrar, then only certificate will be generated. In the application there is a provision to do registration of Legacy / Old Birth, Death and Still Birth records. Digitization of Birth, Death and Still Birth records till 1990 is made mandatory for all 213 Urban Local Bodies accordingly all ULBs have completed the entry. Birth, Death and Still Birth Records from 1990 to till today are in digital form. Citizen can view his record through this online application. Initiative has been taken to integrate Digital Signature with Birth and Death Certificate. Once its implemented application security will also increase and planning to integrate online payment portal is also in process, from this the citizens can get his certificate easily from anywhere in the world.
Why was the project started:
Urban Local Bodies in Karnataka provide various civic services to the citizens. The Government of Karnataka, as part of its urban reforms process, introduced the system of computerizing the Birth and Death records, online registration of Births & Deaths and issuing of computerized certificates in the ULBs. • To streamline the Registration and Certification of Birth and Death and also to improve quality of service delivered to the citizens. • Easy Birth and Death Registration and Certification. • Online registration at ULB or through hospital with an automated computer-generated Registration ID. • To issue computerized certificates to the citizens. • To computerize the Birth and Death Registration and Certification.
Objective: To bring about better governance in Urban Local Bodies (ULB) through the use of technology and Govt. Process Reengineering. It focuses on creating robust database of records in health department and has the day-to-day administration of the ULB be based on accurate data, well defined processes and more efficient service delivery to citizens by using IT/Communication tools and technologies. The Government of Karnataka, as part of its urban reforms process, introduced the system of computerizing the Birth and Death records, online registration of Births & Deaths and issuing of computerized certificates in the ULBs.
Target Group: Administrators of Urban Local Bodies and Citizens
Geographical Reach within India: All 213 ULBs of Karnataka except Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike.
Geographical Reach outside India: NA
Date From which the Project became Operational:–
Is the Project still operational?: Yes
List 5 Innovations of programme/project/initiative:
1. • It is made mandatory to digitize records till 1990, accordingly all 213 ULBs have completed the data entry of the records which are available online.
2. • The ULBs officials are trained to use the application
3. • Separate counters are opened for the issuance of certificates
4. • Hospitals can also directly register the events in the application
5. • Option for public to view birth and death records.List 5 achievements of the programme/project/initiative:
1. Easy Birth, Death and Stillbirth Registration.
2. Automated computer-generated Registration IDs will be issued for each registration
3. Reports of Birth, Death, and Still Born registered and certificates can be generated.
4. Citizens can view the records online.
5. It brings about transparency into affairs of ULBs and make them more accountable and smoother delivery of Municipal services to citizens.List 5 Key challenges faced while implementing the project/programme/initiative and how they were overcome:
1. The old records available in the ULB were not in proper condition, unreadable, erased, handwriting which are not understandable and some were even worn out. The help of experienced staff helped to overcome this.
2. Non co-operation from the ULB officials to use the application. Review meeting on monthly basis helped to know the progress of the project implementation.
3. Some ULBs did not have the basic facilities like Computers, Internet and UPS. Grants were released to bear the all the expenses incurred for the implementation of the project.
4. Software and hardware related problems were faced during implementation. Appointment of Technical staff to overcome this problem
5. Lack of knowledge about the application. Proper training to concerned officials helped them to overcome this. Delay in data entry of the earlier certificates due to various reasons. Data entry operators were appointed and target was fixed for enter the records.List 5 points on how the Project/Programme/Initiative can serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
1. Easy Birth, Death and Stillbirth Registration & Certification
2. Online registration through hospital with an automated computer-generated Registration ID
3. Generation of Reports of Birth, Death, and Still Born registered and certificates
4. Entered records are readily available for the ULB registrar for approval so, the transactions will be very fast.
5. Issuing the certificate is not time consuming because the system is very user friendly. Online system is very fast and useful for publics. Public can view birth and death records through onlineList 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative?
1. One of the major focus areas for the project right from the start was, to create a scalable platform that could be rolled out across the state, covering all 213 ULBs.
2. Technical Architecture: The solution architecture for the products are designed in such a way that it is very easy to scale up for multiple cities, thereby addressing it for the entire state.
3. Central Architecture is cheaper, due to economies of scale. The number of servers and other hardware needed to operate 213 municipalities from one location is much lower than implementing a server solution in each city. The same applies to network, hardware, software as well as most importantly to citizens.
4. Centralizing also allows standardization of formats and processes that automatically drive economies of scale.
5. The website www.mrc.gov.in acts as a gateway for accessing the application.